Tuesday, February 17, 2009

RED STEAK & GRAVY



This is Bill’s favorite and something his mother cooks for him on his birthday. He asked me repeatedly to learn how to cook this before I ever became brave enough. I never try to duplicate any of his mother’s cooking because, well, it would just be foolish. I will never be as good a cook as she is, however, he DOES love my red steak and gravy ALMOST as much as his moms. To me that is a major accomplishment.

RED STEAK & GRAVY

Roast
(3) Cans of Tomato Sauce
Flour
Oil (for skillet)
(1) Onion
Garlic Salt
Ground Pepper
Onion Powder

Slice Roast into steak-sized slices about an 1” thick
(if you are like me and hate to touch raw meat, buy the already cut Eye of Round Steaks)
Pour (3) Cans of Tomato Sauce and (2) Cans of water into a Crock-Pot
Flour roast steaks and brown on each side
(they don’t have to cook completely they will go in the crock-pot after browning)
Cut slices of onion into crock pot
Season to taste, (I add a garlic salt, ground pepper, and onion powder)
Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours
(may take more or less time depending on the thickness of the meat)

Note: I serve with mashed potatoes (red gravy over potatoes), butter peas, and rolls!

From the Kitchen of Ma Kimble

1 COMMENTS:

Gayla said...

your blog is the cutest! thanks for keeping up with me and for the good thoughts. i might try this recipe...looks like it might not be too labor intensive.

g